Kanye West Makes Surprise Appearance at BET Awards: Read the Full Transcript
Kanye West made an unexpected appearance nearly three hours into the BET Awards on Sunday night to honor Sean "Diddy" Combs, the show's beneficiary of the Lifetime Achievement grant.
His discourse followed an intricate execution that crossed Combs' whole vocation, including appearances by Mary J. Blige, Jodeci, Nas, Lil' Kim, Busta Rhymes, the Lox, Bryson Tiller, Faith Evans, the Maverick City Choir — and Diddy himself, who committed the principal half of his hit 1997 "I'll Be Missing You," to his long-term accomplice, entertainer Kim Porter, who passed on from a lung disease in 2018, through video film that played while he played out; the final part of the melody highlighted a video recognition for its unique subject, Notorious B.I.G. Next came a strong video discourse from Jay-Z and an entertaining one from Babyface — who reviewed Diddy slowly however effectively helping himself to ski.
Then, West made that big appearance, wearing a dim calfskin Hood via Air coat, a matching baseball cap, conceals and a full dark stocking facial cover, like ones he wore in appearances and exhibitions last year.
In his discourse, West related to the longing to change one's name: Over the years, Combs has called himself Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, just Diddy and most as of late, basically Love; last year West lawfully changed his name to "Ye." He likewise talked movingly of Combs' impact on him, focusing on that he thinks of him as a craftsman — and it is simple the impact of Combs seeing his whole innovative and business yield as a feature of an entirety.
Peruse West's discourse in full:
"How would we crown our rulers? How would we see the value in our rulers?," he started. "To figure how far we could simply make if off of motivation, to hear the manner in which someone slashed an example in. Me and [friend] rushin' to see who could get the Bad Boy mixtape and play back the first rendition of "Benjamins," again and again, thinkin' I was one of the Hit Men.
"I was endorsed to Puff without him knowing," he giggled, adding "That assertion isn't legitimately restricting!"
"To go to New York," he proceeded. "Also, imagine that everyone had on calfskin coats and new Tims consistently…
"To see Puff, all things considered, at the 'Missing You' video, very much like me tapping free like a small child — I simply have to meet this man. This is my number one craftsman. You see I'm saying most loved craftsman — everything, not explicitly creation, the excursion. In those days there was such countless principles to hip-bounce and he broke every one of them.
"Perceived agreements in a manner a ton of us actually don't. Perceived cash in a manner a ton of us actually don't. I go to him for counsel right up 'til now. He propelled so many of my decisions. So many of my life decisions. My significant other decisions. What's more, we are right here. Gratitude for that, Puff.
What's more, we are right here, you all don't have the foggiest idea, getting slipped into the club at 17 years of age in Chicago, thinking we was essential for Bad Boy.
This man was so well known, it was sufficiently really great for me to be Chicago's rendition of Puff. You know, I took a little break. I said 'I needed to proclaim myself lawfully dead for a year.' Nobody missing me. You know, I simply need to be off the network.
"Puff is really constant. Be that as it may, I needed to think. It's like individuals, they get amnesia, similar to I ought to never need to call more than one time.
"Any of us here, assuming that Puff at any point need us, we really want to bounce and be there. This man has had to deal with and endure a ton of stuff. Separated a great deal of entryways so we could stand. I know for me, that I could be here today.
He separated such countless entryways of inequity, taste, culture, loot. Puff, in the event that I never told you, I love you. You're my sibling.
"I was at the dental specialist and I was taking nitrous oxide. I wouldn't propose it assuming anyone is worried. Furthermore, I assumed I know about the way things are to need to change your name. You could know him as Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Combs. Yet, while it's hitting a specific point, I thought toward its finish, everything is love — every last bit of it. The sum total of what we have is love. In Jesus' name, bring out Love.
